About Us


How Do I Register for CARD services?
Families and self-advocates can register by calling, emailing, or using our online registration form.

Phone Numbers:

  • Tampa Main Office: English: (813) 974-2532 | Español: (813) 974-2297
  • Ft. Myers Satellite Office (Lee, Collier, Glades, Charlotte, Hendry): (239) 590-7769
  • Heartland Satellite Office (DeSoto, Hardee, Highlands): (813) 816-0115

Email: card-usf@usf.edu

Registration Form

Professionals can request services using the following online forms:

Training Request   Consultation Request

I'm a professional working with a family or individual. How can I refer them for CARD services?
CARD has a policy of self-referral to ensure that all parties are consenting to services and are fully aware of the scope of CARD’s work. Please have your client or their guardian contact us using one of the methods described in the question above. Please note that we are happy to collaborate with you in providing services to the client as long as you are included on their release form.

Does CARD-USF provide autism diagnosis?
Unfortunately, Florida State statute prohibits CARD-USF from providing diagnostic evaluations. Our resource team can help you locate an appropriate provider.

Does CARD-USF offer therapy?
Unfortunately, Florida State statute prohibits CARD-USF from providing any therapy. Our resource team can help you locate an appropriate provider.

What types of documentation can I submit as proof of diagnosis?
CARD-USF can accept the most recent descriptive report written by a licensed mental health or medical professional (such as a psychologist, neurologist, etc.), a school evaluation team, or early intervention team. We can also accept an Individual Family Service Plan or the most recent IEP. If an evaluation report is not available, we can provide a diagnostic checklist for your doctor to complete and submit back to us. Please note that we will NOT accept a diagnosis written on a prescription pad, therapy or treatment notes, or other documents that do not specify the characteristics that lead to the diagnosis.

What are “Related Disabilities”?
In addition to Autism Spectrum Disorder, CARD also provides services to individuals with Social Communication Disorder, Dual Sensory Impairment (deaf/blind), Fragile-X Syndrome, and Ret Syndrome. Children under 7 years with a diagnosis of Developmental Disability may also be eligible for services.

I received services from a different CARD site - will CARD-USF provide the same services?
Each CARD site operates independently and offers different services depending on the needs of their local communities and the departmental structures of the universities that house them. Some services may be funded by additional grants at that particular location. When you transfer your registration to CARD-USF our resource team will ask you to sign a release form so we can obtain your records from the previous CARD site. Our consultants will review your files and work with you to address your needs.

How often will my CARD consultant contact me?
You can expect your CARD consultant to be responsive to your requests, however we cannot provide regular case management or weekly follow up. You will need to contact us when you need further assistance.

Can my consultant go to my IEP meeting with me?
Yes. CARD often participates in agency or school meetings where a child’s needs and programming are being discussed, however we serve a consultative role rather than a role of advocacy. We can meet with you prior to the meeting to prepare you to be the best advocate for your child, or refer you to a professional advocate. If you invite a CARD consultant to attend an IEP meeting, you must inform the meeting coordinator.

Does CARD provide financial assistance?
We do not provide funding for treatment, private schools, medicine, or other needs.